Piraeus Bank’s story of O
The bank’s new gender equality initiative launches a spot that calls out linguistic sexism.
Unlock full credits and more with a Source + shots membership.
- Agency The Newtons Laboratory/Athens
- Production Company Filmiki
- Music Bounce Music & Sound
- Head Creative Director Andreas Gregoriades
- Creative Director Vangelis Tolias
- Art Director Panos Nouveloglou
- Art Director Pavlidis George
- Copywriter Alexandros Konstantinidis
In Greek, definite articles are used to signify the gender of the following noun. ‘O’ is the one for masculine and ‘H’ is for feminine.
However, O is often used generically for both gendered nouns, leading to the continuation of patriarchal dominance in language, and thus in culture.
It’s part of a campaign launching the bank’s EQUALL project, a training, networking and mentoring program aimed at women wishing to create and grow their own businesses.